Table of contents
About this book
The Himalaya, a global biodiversity hotspot, sustains about one-fifth of the humankind. Nestled within the north-western mountain ranges of the Himalaya, the Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) State harbours more than half of the biodiversity found in the Indian Himalaya. The wide expanse of State, spread across the subtropical Jammu, through the temperate Kashmir valley, to the cold arid Ladakh, is typical representative of the extensive elevational and topographical diversity encountered in the entire Himalaya.
This book, the most comprehensive and updated synthesis ever made available on biodiversity of the J&K State, is a valuable addition to the biodiversity literature with global and regional relevance. The book, arranged into 7 parts, comprises of 42 chapters contributed by 87 researchers, each of whom is an expert in his/her own field of research. The precious baseline data contained in the book would form the foundation for assessing current status of knowledge about the bioresources, identify the knowledge gaps, and help prioritization of conservation strategies to steer the sustainable use of biodiversity in this Himalayan region. Given the breadth of topics covered under the banner of biodiversity in this book, it can surely serve as a model for documentation of biodiversity in other regions of the world. The book will be of immense value to all those who, directly or indirectly, have to deal with biodiversity, including students, teachers, researchers, naturalists, environmentalists, resource managers, planners, government agencies, NGOs and the general public at large.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Biodiversity of the Himalaya: Jammu and Kashmir State
Ghulam Hassan Dar
Anzar A. Khuroo
- Series Title Topics in Biodiversity and Conservation
- Series Abbreviated Title Topics Biodiversity,Cons.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-32-9174-4
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. 2020
- Publisher Name Springer, Singapore
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-981-32-9173-7
- Softcover ISBN 978-981-32-9176-8
- eBook ISBN 978-981-32-9174-4
- Series ISSN 1875-1288
- Series E-ISSN 1875-1296
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXIII, 1100
- Number of Illustrations 38 b/w illustrations, 127 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site