About this book
This book presents a study in educational sociology, exploring the function of rural schools, which are a symbol of the state in rural society, in a time characterized by local cultural transition.
The book begins with an investigation of the status quo, background and history of a representative rural school, Fengning Hope Elementary School, and gives a definition of “the ‘states’ in villages.” Subsequently, on the basis of research on the teachers, an analysis of the courses taught, and comparison to other rural elementary schools of the same type, it reveals the dual status of rural schools and their relation with social development in rural areas.
Based on thorough fieldwork and empirical research, the book provides a new vision of the interactive relation between the state and rural society, particularly focusing on the role of rural education in that relation. In addition, it explores the reshaping of Chinese culture and the part that intellectuals play in the process of today’s cultural transition. For English-language readers and Western professionals, this translated version will offer an essential window into Chinese studies from a local point of view.
Case Study Education Cycle Education in China Field Study Local Culture Urban-Rural Relations
- Book Title The “States” in Villages
- Book Subtitle A Look at Schools in Rural China
- Series Title China Academic Library
- Series Abbreviated Title China Academic Library
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-287-946-2
- Copyright Information Foreign Language Teaching and Research Publishing Co., Ltd and Springer Science+Business Media Singapore 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Singapore
- eBook Packages Social Sciences Social Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-981-287-944-8
- Softcover ISBN 978-981-13-5732-9
- eBook ISBN 978-981-287-946-2
- Series ISSN 2195-1853
- Series E-ISSN 2195-1861
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages IX, 168
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Teaching and Teacher Education
- Buy this book on publisher's site