About this book
This Pivot updates the ideas of the famous political philosopher from the Italian Renaissance, Machiavelli, for the 21st century, using case studies from the West and from Kazakhstan to demonstrate the utility of Machiavelli's ideas for contemporary political life. In truth, Machiavelli's ideas have never lost their value. Although "Machiavellian" as an adjective tends to describe amoral cynicism in contemporary usage, Machiavelli's ideas were deeply ethical and oriented towards achieving long-term goals. Contemporary readers may be put off by medieval language and examples, misled into believing Machiavelli speaks to a different age; and yet the author here explores how Machiavellian strategy can be of value— ethical as well as practical—in the 21st century.
Jean-François Caron is an Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Political Science and International Relations at Nazarbayev University where he teaches Political Theory.
power politics realist foreign policy machiavelli populism strategy
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-0353-5
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. 2019
- Publisher Name Palgrave Pivot, Singapore
- eBook Packages Literature, Cultural and Media Studies
- Print ISBN 978-981-15-0352-8
- Online ISBN 978-981-15-0353-5
- Series Print ISSN 2524-8359
- Series Online ISSN 2524-8367
- Buy this book on publisher's site