About this book
Leading a Board provides highly relevant insights on dealing with challenges every chairman faces.
—Dr. Andreas Jacobs, Chairman of INSEAD Board, Member of Jacobs Holding AG Board
An insightful, well-researched and crafted book, which demystifies the practice and art of good Chairmanship.
—Helen Pitcher OBE, Governance Expert and Chairman Public, Private and Charitable SectorsA “must read” for anyone contemplating taking on the responsibilities of chairing a board.
—Bryan K. Sanderson, CBE, Chairman and Founding Director of Home Renaissance Foundation, Chair of Low Pay Commission and Chairman of Florence Nightingale Foundation
This book represents the first cross-country study of the work of board chairs in Europe. It includes unique data collected through interviews with almost 200 experienced board chairs and their key stakeholders – board members, CEOs and shareholders.
The book focuses on what board leaders actually do, rather than what they should do, and elaborates on a conceptual contingency framework for understanding chairs’ work in Europe. This includes a comprehensive list of chair practices – iterative behaviour strategies for getting things done, comparisons of contexts for chairs’ work and practices among nine countries, and identification of cross-European and country-specific trends that will shape the work of board leaders in the next decade.
The book will benefit incumbent and future chairs, directors, shareholders, CEOs, executives and regulators in developing a systemic understanding of the work of a chair in the European business context and gaining insights into how the leader of the board deals with specific challenges.
Stanislav Shekshnia is a Professor of Entrepreneurship at INSEAD, a Director of the “Leading from the Chair” executive development programme and a Senior Partner at Ward Howell. His research concentrates on leadership, leadership development and effective governance.
Veronika Zagieva is a Director of Ward Howell Talent Equity Institute. Her research is focused on leadership development, CEO effectiveness, CEO succession and board dynamics.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Leading a Board
- Book Subtitle Chairs’ Practices Across Europe
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-3197-8
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd., part of Springer Nature 2019
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Singapore
- eBook Packages Business and Management Business and Management (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-981-13-3196-1
- eBook ISBN 978-981-13-3197-8
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXI, 250
- Number of Illustrations 12 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Careers in Business and Management
- Buy this book on publisher's site