About this book
The book examines surface rainfall processes through cloud-resolving modeling and quantitative analysis of surface rainfall budget and summarizes modeling and analysis results in recent seven years. The book shows validation of precipitation modeling against observations and derives a set of diagnostic precipitation equations. The book provides detailed discussions of the applications of precipitation equations to the examination of effects of sea surface temperature, vertical wind shear, radiation, and ice clouds on torrential rainfall processes in the tropics and mid-latitudes, and to the studies of sensitivity of precipitation modeling to uncertainty of the initial conditions and to the estimate of precipitation efficiency. The book can be used as a text book for graduate students and will be beneficial to researchers and forecasters for precipitation process studies and operational forecasts.
Xiaofan Li is a physical scientist at the Center for Satellite Applications and Research, National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Camp Springs, Maryland, USA. He has a doctorate in meteorology from the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, USA and a master’s degree in meteorology from Nanjing University of Information Science and Technology, Nanjing, China.
Shouting Gao is a professor at the Laboratory of Cloud-Precipitation Physics and Severe Storm, Institute of Atmospheric Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China. He has a doctorate and a master’s degree in meteorology from the Institute of Atmospheric Physics, Beijing, China.
- Book Title Precipitation Modeling and Quantitative Analysis
- Series Title Springer Atmospheric Sciences
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-007-2381-8
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2012
- Publisher Name Springer, Dordrecht
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science Earth and Environmental Science (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-94-007-2380-1
- Softcover ISBN 978-94-017-8188-6
- eBook ISBN 978-94-007-2381-8
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVI, 240
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Simulation and Modeling
- Buy this book on publisher's site