About this book
CMOS Processors and Memories addresses the-state-of-the-art in integrated circuit design in the context of emerging computing systems. New design opportunities in memories and processor are discussed. Emerging materials that can take system performance beyond standard CMOS, like carbon nanotubes, graphene, ferroelectrics and tunnel junctions are explored.
CMOS Processors and Memories is divided into two parts: processors and memories. In the first part we start with high performance, low power processor design, followed by a chapter on multi-core processing. They both represent state-of-the-art concepts in current computing industry. The third chapter deals with asynchronous design that still carries lots of promise for future computing needs. At the end we present a “hardware design space exploration” methodology for implementing and analyzing the hardware for the Bayesian inference framework. This particular methodology involves: analyzing the computational cost and exploring candidate hardware components, proposing various custom architectures using both traditional CMOS and hybrid nanotechnology CMOL. The first part concludes with hybrid CMOS-Nano architectures.
The second, memory part covers state-of-the-art SRAM, DRAM, and flash memories as well as emerging device concepts. Semiconductor memory is a good example of the full custom design that applies various analog and logic circuits to utilize the memory cell’s device physics. Critical physical effects that include tunneling, hot electron injection, charge trapping (Flash memory) are discussed in detail. Emerging memories like FRAM, PRAM and ReRAM that depend on magnetization, electron spin alignment, ferroelectric effect, built-in potential well, quantum effects, and thermal melting are also described.
CMOS Processors and Memories is a must for anyone serious about circuit design for future computing technologies. The book is written by top notch international experts in industry and academia. It can be used in graduate course curriculum.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title CMOS Processors and Memories
- Series Title Analog Circuits and Signal Processing
- Series Abbreviated Title Analog Circuits,Signal Processing (formerly Int.Ser.Engin.,Comp.Sci.)
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-90-481-9216-8
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2010
- Publisher Name Springer, Dordrecht
- eBook Packages Engineering Engineering (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-90-481-9215-1
- Softcover ISBN 978-94-007-3304-6
- eBook ISBN 978-90-481-9216-8
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages VI, 382
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Circuits and Systems
Solid State Physics
Nanotechnology and Microengineering
- Buy this book on publisher's site