About this book
This study provides innovative mathematical models for assessing the eruption probability and associated volcanic hazards, and applies them to the Campi Flegrei caldera in Italy. Throughout the book, significant attention is devoted to quantifying the sources of uncertainty affecting the forecast estimates.
The Campi Flegrei caldera is certainly one of the world’s highest-risk volcanoes, with more than 70 eruptions over the last 15,000 years, prevalently explosive ones of varying magnitude, intensity and vent location. In the second half of the twentieth century the volcano apparently once again entered a phase of unrest that continues to the present. Hundreds of thousands of people live inside the caldera and over a million more in the nearby city of Naples, making a future eruption of Campi Flegrei an event with potentially catastrophic consequences at the national and European levels.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-88-7642-577-6
- Copyright Information Scuola Normale Superiore Pisa 2016
- Publisher Name Edizioni della Normale, Pisa
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics Mathematics and Statistics (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-88-7642-556-1
- Online ISBN 978-88-7642-577-6
- Buy this book on publisher's site