Table of contents
About this book
This book presents an overview of various types of lignin and their unique structures and properties, as well as utilizations of crude or modified technical lignin for high-value bioproducts such as lignin-based PF resins/adhesives, epoxy resins, PF foams, PU foams, rubber reinforcement and carbon fibers and as dispersants in drilling fluids in the oil and gas industry. It subsequently discusses various thermal/chemical modification techniques (pyrolysis, direct liquefaction and de-polymerization) for converting lignin into oils and chemical feedstocks, and the utilization of crude lignin, lignin-derived oils or depolymerized lignins (DLs) of reduced molecular weights and improved reactivity to produce lignin-based PF resins/adhesives, PF/PU foams and epoxy resins.The book will interest and benefit a broad readership (graduate students, academic researchers, industrial researchers and practitioners) in various fields of science and technology (chemical engineering, biotechnology, chemistry, material science, forestry, etc.).
Chunbao (Charles) Xu, PhD, is currently a Professor of Chemical Engineering and NSERC/FPInnovations Industrial Research Chair in Forest Biorefinery at the University of Western Ontario, Canada.
Fatemeh Ferdosian, PhD, is currently a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Waterloo, Canada.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-662-54959-9
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag GmbH Germany 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Chemistry and Materials Science Chemistry and Material Science (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-662-54957-5
- Online ISBN 978-3-662-54959-9
- Series Print ISSN 2196-6982
- Series Online ISSN 2196-6990
- Buy this book on publisher's site