About this book
During the last decades, freight transportation experienced a worldwide boom. At the same time, competition increased considerably, such that efficient cost structures are indispensable for any market player. One of the main challenges a transportation company faces is the efficient employment of its personnel in operations, commonly referred to as crew scheduling.
In this book the author presents solution approaches to large-scale crew scheduling. Firstly, the implementation of state-of-the-art operations research methods for a setting at a major European freight railway carrier is presented. Secondly, the author discusses acceleration techniques that make the developed algorithms applicable even in short-term contexts. While the analysis is based on European freight railway settings, the gained insights also apply to other (crew) scheduling contexts.
Potential readership includes scholars and graduate students who are interested in the fields of crew scheduling and column generation as well as practitioners from transportation companies looking for new planning approaches.
transportation crew scheduling European freight railway Divide-and-Price Concept Constraint Aggregation Approach
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-658-24360-9
- Copyright Information Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden GmbH, part of Springer Nature 2012
- Publisher Name Springer Gabler, Wiesbaden
- eBook Packages Business and Economics
- Print ISBN 978-3-658-24359-3
- Online ISBN 978-3-658-24360-9
- Buy this book on publisher's site