About this book
This book is concerned with one of the most fundamental questions of mathematics: the relationship between algebraic formulas and geometric images.
At one of the first international mathematical congresses (in Paris in 1900), Hilbert stated a special case of this question in the form of his 16th problem (from his list of 23 problems left over from the nineteenth century as a legacy for the twentieth century).
In spite of the simplicity and importance of this problem (including its numerous applications), it remains unsolved to this day (although, as you will now see, many remarkable results have been discovered).
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-36243-9
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics
- Print ISBN 978-3-642-36242-2
- Online ISBN 978-3-642-36243-9
- Series Print ISSN 2038-5714
- Buy this book on publisher's site