About this book
Probiotic microorganisms have a long history of use, and their health benefits for hosts are well documented. This Microbiology Monographs volume provides an overview of the current knowledge and applications of probiotics.
Reviews cover the biology and probiotic potential of the thoroughly studied prokaryotic genera Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, several eukaryotic microorganisms, probiotic strain characterization, and the analytical methods (such as FISH, microarray, and high throughput sequencing) required for their study. Further chapters describe the positive effects of probiotics on malabsorption disorders such as diarrhea and lactose intolerance, and document the clinical evidence of benefits in treating allergies and lung emphysema, and in dermatological applications. Also addresses are topics such as genetically engineered strains, new carriers for probiotics, protection techniques, challenges of health claims, safety aspects, and future market trends.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-20838-6
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2011
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-642-20837-9
- Online ISBN 978-3-642-20838-6
- Series Print ISSN 1862-5576
- Series Online ISSN 1862-5584
- Buy this book on publisher's site