Table of contents
About this book
The oceans cover 70% of the terrestrial surface, and exert a pervasive influence on the Earth's environment but their nature is poorly recognized. Knowing the ocean's role deeply and understanding the complex, physical, biological, chemical and geological systems operating within it represent a major challenge to scientists today. Seafloor observatories offer scientists new opportunites to study multiple, interrelated natural phenomena over time scales ranging from seconds to decades, from episodic to global and long-term processes.
Seafloor Observatories addresses the important and apparently simple question, "How can continuous and reliable monitoring at the seafloor by means of Seafloor Observatories extend exploration and improve knowledge of our planet?" The book leads the reader through
- the present scientific challenges to be addressed with seafloor observatories;
- the technical solutions for their architecture;
- an excursus on worldwide ongoing projects and programmes.
- some relevant scientific multidisciplinary results; and
- a presentation of new and interesting long-term perspectives for the coming years.
Scientific results from seafloor observatories will yield significant improvements and exert a strong impact not only on current knowledge of our Planet but also on human life evolution.
- Book Title SEAFLOOR OBSERVATORIES
- Book Subtitle A New Vision of the Earth from the Abyss
- Series Title Springer Praxis Books
- Series Abbreviated Title Springer Praxis Books (formerly: Springer-Praxis Series)
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-11374-1
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2015
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science Earth and Environmental Science (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-642-11373-4
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-662-50623-3
- eBook ISBN 978-3-642-11374-1
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXXI, 676
- Number of Illustrations 42 b/w illustrations, 306 illustrations in colour
- Additional Information Jointly published with Praxis Publishing Ltd., UK
Freshwater & Marine Ecology
- Buy this book on publisher's site