About this book
Surface Engineering of Polymer Membranes covers the processes that modify membrane surfaces to improve their in-service performance, meaning, to confer surface properties which are different from the bulk properties. Purposes may be to minimize fouling, modulate hydrophilicity/ hydrophobicity, enhance biocompatibility, create diffusion barriers, provide functionalities, mimic biomembranes, fabricate nanostructures, etc. First, the basics of surface engineering of polymer membranes are covered. Then topics such as surface modification by graft polymerization and macromolecule immobilization, biomimetic surfaces, enzyme immobilization, molecular recognition, and nanostructured surfaces are discussed. This book provides a unique synthesis of the knowledge of the role of surface chemistry and physics in membrane science.
Dr. Zhikang Xu of the Institute of Polymer Science of Zhejiang University has eight Chinese patents and in 2006 was honored as a Distinguished Young Scholar by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NNSFC).
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-88413-2
- Copyright Information Springer Berlin Heidelberg 2009
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Chemistry and Materials Science Chemistry and Material Science (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-540-88412-5
- Online ISBN 978-3-540-88413-2
- Series Print ISSN 1995-6819
- Buy this book on publisher's site