About this book
This book examines the global HIV/AIDS pandemic from a multidisciplinary perspective, analyzing its economic impact, the reasons behind the political response to the pandemic, international laws relating to public health and patents and mechanisms for financing global and national responses. The authors paint a global picture of the HIV/AIDS pandemic one issue, one country and one region at a time and show why prevention, treatment and human rights protection must each form part of a comprehensive HIV/AIDS strategy. The book analyzes the successes and failures of national governments, international organizations and the private sector in fighting the HIV/AIDS pandemic and recommends changes to our international economic, financial, legal and political institutions. This book highlights the lessons the world has to learn from our experience with HIV/AIDS in order to improve the way we address global diseases.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-78392-3
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2008
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Business and Economics
- Print ISBN 978-3-540-78391-6
- Online ISBN 978-3-540-78392-3