About this book
"Potential Theory in Applied Geophysics" introduces the principles of gravitational, magnetic, electrostatic, direct current electrical and electromagnetic fields, with detailed solutions of Laplace and electromagnetic wave equations by the method of separation of variables. Behaviour of the scalar and vector potential and the nature of the solutions of these boundary value problems are shown along with the use of complex variables and conformal transformation, Green's theorem, Green's functions and its use in integral equation. Finite element and finite difference methods for two-dimensional potential problems are discussed in considerable detail. The analytical continuation of the potential field and inverse theory, used for the interpretation of potential field data, are also demonstrated.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-72334-9
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2008
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science
- Print ISBN 978-3-540-72089-8
- Online ISBN 978-3-540-72334-9