About this book
This book represents the most comprehensive description of the physical findings of an investigation into the spatio-temporal characteristics of the gravity of breaking waves and the foam activity in open sea by methods and instruments of optical and microwave remote sensing.
The study of physical and electrodynamics' properties of the gravity wave breaking processes and the foam spatio-temporal activity is an important facet of satellite oceanography, ocean engineering, air-sea interaction and ocean remote sensing. In particular, the contribution of foam formations of various types to the mean and the spatio-temporal variations of radio emission, back-scattering, IR and optical parameters of the disturbed sea surface is highly significant. The statistical characteristics of wave breaking and attendant foam forming are very important to ocean wave dynamics. The study and measurement of spatio-temporal characteristics of wave breaking and sea foam formations are of fundamental importance in ocean remote sensing.
Much emphasis is placed on the physical aspects of breaking processes necessary to measure the possibilities and limitations of remote sensing methods in specific observation cases of an oceanic surface. Numerous practical applications and illustrations are provided from air-borne, ship-borne and laboratory up-to-date experiments.
- Book Title Breaking Ocean Waves
- Book Subtitle Geometry, Structure, and Remote Sensing
- Series Title Springer Praxis Books
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-29828-1
- Copyright Information Praxis Publishing Ltd, Chichester, UK 2007
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science Earth and Environmental Science (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-540-29827-4
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-642-06752-5
- eBook ISBN 978-3-540-29828-1
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XV, 278
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Additional Information Joint published with Praxis Publishing, UK
Geotechnical Engineering & Applied Earth Sciences
Earth Sciences, general
- Buy this book on publisher's site