About this book
Michael Staack’s ethnography is the first and only comprehensive social-scientific analysis of the combat sport ‘mixed martial arts’. Based on systematic training observations, the author meticulously analyses how mixed martial arts practitioners conjointly create and immerse themselves in their own world of ultimate hand-to-hand combat.
Staack not only provides a sociological illumination of the defining theme of the mixed martial arts culture – the quest of ‘fighting as real as it gets’ – but also a compelling cultural-sociological case study on the practical social constructions of ‘authenticity’.
Ethnomethodology Praxeology Sociology of the Body Martial Arts Practice Theory
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-476-04991-9
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag GmbH Germany, part of Springer Nature 2019
- Publisher Name J.B. Metzler, Stuttgart
- eBook Packages J.B. Metzler Humanities (German Language)
- Print ISBN 978-3-476-04990-2
- Online ISBN 978-3-476-04991-9
- Buy this book on publisher's site