About this book
This book discusses what it means for cities to work toward and achieve resilience in the face of climate change. The content takes an urban planning perspective with a water-related focus, exploring the continued global and local efforts in improving disaster risk management within the water sphere. Chapters examine four cities in the US and Germany - San Francisco, San Diego, Solingen and Wuppertal - as the core case studies of the discussion. The chapters for each case delve into the current status of the cities and issues resilience must overcome, and then explore solutions and key takeaways learned from the implementation of various resilience approaches. The book concludes with a summary of cross-cutting themes, best-practice examples and a reflection on the relevance of the approaches to cases in the wider developing world.
This book engages both practitioners and scientific audiences alike, particularly those interested in issues addressed by the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the recent Water Action Decade 2018-2028 and the Rockefeller Foundation’s 100 Resilient Cities.
climate resilient cities climate change impacts resilience climate adaptation water resource planning urban policy flash flooding in urbanized areas resilient water systems climate resilience water-related extremes Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 100 Resilient Cities urban planning California water system drought management coastal community resilience integrated water management water sensitive urban design (WSUD) urban drainage emergency response planning
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-99744-5
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Palgrave Pivot, Cham
- eBook Packages Social Sciences Social Sciences (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-99743-8
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-99744-5
- Series Print ISSN 2523-8124
- Series Online ISSN 2523-8132
- Buy this book on publisher's site