Table of contents
About this book
This book aims at providing a brief but broad overview of biosignatures. The topics addressed range from prebiotic signatures in extraterrestrial materials to the signatures characterising extant life as well as fossilised life, biosignatures related to space, and space flight instrumentation to detect biosignatures either in situ or from orbit. The book ends with philosophical reflections on the implications of life elsewhere.
In the 15 chapters written by an interdisciplinary team of experts, it provides both detailed explanations on the nature of biosignatures as well as useful case studies showing how they are used and identified in ancient rocks, for example. One case study addresses the controversial finding of traces of fossil life in a meteorite from Mars.
The book will be of interest not only to astrobiologists but also to terrestrial paleontologists as well as any reader interested in the prospects of finding a second example of life on another planet.
Astrobiology and origin of life Biosignatures and their biogenicity Strategy of life detection Search for extraterrestrial life Biosignatures for exoplanets
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-96175-0
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-96174-3
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-96175-0
- Series Print ISSN 1610-8957
- Series Online ISSN 1613-1851
- Buy this book on publisher's site