About this book
This book critically examines the lived experiences of bisexual Christians across a range of Christian traditions in the UK and the USA. Shepherd assesses whether current data on elevated rates of depressive illnesses among bisexual people also apply to the bisexual Christian community. Drawing on data collected by the author on bisexual Christians across the lifespan, the book uncovers shocking incidences of biphobia and bi erasure in the Church. Widespread ignorance among pastors of middle sexualities outside of the hetero-/homonormative binary is revealed as well as a corresponding absence of appropriate support resources.
Bisexuality and the Western Christian Church will be of interest to students and scholars across a range of disciplines, including gender studies, applied theology, sociology and social psychology. It is also important reading for clergy, and LGBT faith organisations.
With a Foreword by Eric Anderson, Professor of Sport, Masculinities, and Sexualities, University of Winchester, UK.
- Book Title Bisexuality and the Western Christian Church
- Book Subtitle The Damage of Silence
- Series Title Palgrave Studies in Lived Religion and Societal Challenges
- Series Abbreviated Title Palgrave Studies in Lived Religion and Societal Challenges
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-94679-5
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s) 2019
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Social Sciences Social Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-94678-8
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-06897-4
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-94679-5
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIII, 306
- Number of Illustrations 1 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Gender and Sexuality
Religion and Gender
Religion and Psychology
- Buy this book on publisher's site