About this book
This monograph summarizes the environmental issues concerning the channel and the floodplain of the Drava River. It describes the diverse forms of human impact (river regulation, damming and reservoirs, dredging etc.) and the environmental changes of hydrological regime, sediment transport, biodiversity etc. involved.
The transboundary nature of the river is emphasized and the resulting problems are outlined. Special attention is devoted to the evolution and present condition of the floodplain (drainage pattern, oxbow lakes and their vegetation). The possible solutions to environmental problems are illustrated by a review of ongoing and planned rehabilitation measures.
The book is amply illustrated with maps, cross/sections, diagrams and photographs. The international team of authors (representing all countries crossed by the Drava River: Austria, Slovenia, Croatia and Hungary) approach the topic from different aspects. Thus, the reader is provided with a comprehensive picture of this, up until now, little studied European river.
River dynamics Floodplain management Hydrogeomorphology Human Impact Conservation Flood Hazard
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-92816-6
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG, part of Springer Nature 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-92815-9
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-92816-6
- Series Print ISSN 2194-315X
- Series Online ISSN 2194-3168
- Buy this book on publisher's site