About this book
This book sheds light on one of the most under-studied but powerful navies in the world. Using a multifaceted approach, it examines how the Republic of Korea Navy (ROKN) has sought to transform itself from a coastal naval force focused solely on deterring North Korea to a navy capable of operating in the blue waters of East Asia and beyond. The project argues that peninsular and regional security dynamics, technological developments, the US-South Korea alliance and internal politics combine to inform and shape ROKN modernisation.
Ian Bowers is Associate Professor at the Norwegian Institute for Defence Studies, Oslo, Norway.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-92291-1
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s) 2019
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Political Science and International Studies Political Science and International Studies (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-92290-4
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-92291-1
- Buy this book on publisher's site