About this book
This handbook addresses a broad range of topics relating to children’s social behaviors and skills. It examines numerous disorders and problems that are directly affected by excesses and deficits of social skills. The book begins by providing an overview of the history and definition of social skills, citing it as a critical aspect of children’s development. Chapters discuss developmental issues, provide theories of social competence, and assemble proven strategies for promoting the growth of social skills and for treating their deficits. The handbook also reviews a variety of methods for assessing various social competencies, including direct and naturalistic observation, skills checklists, self-reports, and functional behavior analysis. In addition, it provides a comprehensive overview of various training methods, including social learning, parent and peer treatments, self-control methods, social skill group programs, and curricula.
Topics featured in the Handbook include:
- Current research and practical strategies for promoting children’s social and emotional competence in schools.
- Social skills in children with autism spectrum disorder.
- Intellectual disabilities and their effect on social skills.
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and its effect on the development of social skills in children.
- Evidence-based methods of dealing with social difficulties in conduct disorder.
The Handbook of Social Behavior and Skills in Children is a must-have resource for researchers, graduate students, clinicians, and related therapists and professionals in clinical child and school psychology, pediatrics, social work, developmental psychology, behavioral therapy/rehabilitation, child and adolescent psychiatry, and special education.
ABA and social skills in children ADHD and social skills Anxiety disorders and social skills Applied Behavioral Analysis and social skills Autism spectrum disorder and social behavior Bipolar disorder, psychosis, and social skills Challenging behaviors and social skills Chronic disease and social skills Comorbidity and adaptive behavior deficits Conduct disorders and social skills Depression and social behavior Differential diagnosis and social skills Intellectual disabilities and adaptive social skills Operant conditioning and social skills Parent and peer training in social skills School curricula and social skills Self-control and social skills in children Self-injury and children Social skills group programs for children Social skills assessment and treatment
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-64592-6
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-64591-9
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-64592-6
- Series Print ISSN 2192-922X
- Series Online ISSN 2192-9238
- Buy this book on publisher's site