About this book
This handbook provides a comprehensive review of the numerous factors associated with treatments for children, youth, and adults with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). It offers in-depth analysis of evidence-based treatments for young children, providing coverage on interventions within social skills training, school curricula, communication and speech training, and augmentative communication. It also covers treatments for adolescents and adults, including vocational programs, social integration programs, and mental health resources. Chapters also review several popular interventions such as functional behavior analysis, sensory integration therapy, early intensive behavioral interventions (EIBI), and floor time. In addition, the Handbook discusses standards of practice, focusing on ethical issues, review boards, training concerns, and informed consent.Topics featured in the Handbook include:
- Training for parents of individuals diagnosed with ASD.
- Treatment of socially reinforced problem behavior.
- Comorbid challenging behaviors.
- Post-secondary education supports and programs for adults.
- The TEACCH Program for people with ASD.
- Treatment of addiction in adults with ASD.
- Diet and nutrition based treatments targeted at children with ASD.
The Handbook of Treatments for Autism Spectrum Disorder is a must-have reference for researchers, clinicians/professionals, and graduate students in clinical child, school, and developmental psychology, child and adolescent psychiatry, and social work as well as rehabilitation medicine/therapy, behavioral therapy, pediatrics, and educational psychology.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-61738-1
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-61737-4
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-61738-1
- Series Print ISSN 2192-922X
- Series Online ISSN 2192-9238
- Buy this book on publisher's site