Table of contents
About this book
This stimulating and comprehensive collection brings together multiple perspectives on the topic of personality in nonhuman animals—linking historical perspectives, theoretical approaches, methods, and cutting-edge discoveries. Experts from various fields describe their findings on species ranging from dogs, cats, chimpanzees, and dolphins to sharks, snakes, and other reptiles. Chapters not only discuss the evolution of personality, but also describe potential applications within the areas of animal-human interactions, animal ethics and welfare, conservation science, and other areas. A key focus is the role of genetics and the environment in determining animal behavior and personality, including related traits, such as creativity and boredom. These chapters present the study of personality in nonhumans as a means by which we can better understand medical and psychological issues specific to our own species as well.
· Exploring factor space (and other adventures) with the Hominoid Personality Questionnaire
· The quantitative and molecular genetics of individual differences in animal personality
· Personality, temperament and individuality in reptile behavior
· What do we want to know about personality in marine mammals?
· Individual differences in nonhuman animals: examining boredom, curiosity, and creativity
· The interplay between animal personality and foraging ecology
Taking significant steps in advancing the study of animal personality, Personality in Nonhuman Animals will engage personality psychologists, comparative psychologists, and behavior ecologists as well as conservationists, zookeepers, livestock managers, and all those interested in the brain and behavior of animals.
Charles Darwin animal ethics animal welfare five factor model of personality personality development in animals self domestication in bonobos nonhuman primates polygenic trait personality and foraging decisions interpersonal circumplex animal behavioral syndromes zoo animal welfare animal temperament chimpanzee personality behavioral ecology farm animals animal welfare and conservation marine mammals foraging ecology
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-59300-5
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-59299-2
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-59300-5
- Buy this book on publisher's site