About this book
This book explores the complex history of Catalonia’s relationship with Spain from an economic and political perspective. It begins in the Middle Ages and ends in the present day, analysing the intricate political problems of modern day Catalonia within the context of European integration and nationalism.
Chapters present a chronological history covering the period from Catalonia’s earliest history to the present day. It explores Catalonia’s eventual union with Spain, the 17th century crisis, the Franco dictatorship and, finally, its transition to democracy. The author leaves no stone unturned, examining a wealth of sources, from economic records to newspaper reportage and historical records. In an age of insurgent European nationalism and separatism, this book provides a timely long-form analysis of one of Europe’s oldest regions.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-54951-4
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s) 2017
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Economics and Finance Economics and Finance (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-54950-7
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-54951-4
- Buy this book on publisher's site