Table of contents
About this book
This comprehensive handbook presents a Zen account of fundamental and important dimensions of daily living. It explores how Zen teachings inform a range of key topics across the field of behavioral health and discuss the many uses of meditation and mindfulness practice in therapeutic contexts, especially within cognitive-behavioral therapies. Chapters outline key Zen constructs of self and body, desire, and acceptance, and apply these constructs to Western frameworks of health, pathology, meaning-making, and healing. An interdisciplinary panel of experts, including a number of Zen masters who have achieved the designation of roshi, examines intellectual tensions among Zen, mindfulness, and psychotherapy, such as concepts of rationality, modes of language, and goals of well-being. The handbook also offers first-person practitioner accounts of living Zen in everyday life and using its teachings in varied practice settings.
Topics featured in the Handbook include:
• Zen practices in jails.
• Zen koans and parables.
• A Zen account of desire and attachment.
• Adaptation of Zen to behavioral healthcare.
• Zen, mindfulness, and their relationship to cognitive behavioral therapy.
• The application of Zen practices and principles for survivors of trauma and violence.
The Handbook of Zen, Mindfulness, and Behavioral Health is a must-have resource for researchers, clinicians/professionals, and graduate students in clinical psychology, public health, cultural studies, language philosophy, behavioral medicine, and Buddhism and religious studies.
Anger and Zen Anxiety and Zen Cultural adaptations of Zen Dialectical Behavior Therapy and Zen Dysphoria and Zen East and West perspectives on Zen Ethics and Zen Forgiveness and Zen Human desire, attachment, and Zen Japanese culture and Zen Language and Zen Psychopathology and Zen Psychotherapy and Zen Self-compassion and Zen Zen Buddhism and behavioral healthcare Zen and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy Zen and mindfulness Zen koans and parables Zen meditation Zen, personality, and self
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-54595-0
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-54593-6
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-54595-0
- Series Print ISSN 2195-9579
- Series Online ISSN 2195-9587
- Buy this book on publisher's site