Table of contents
About this book
This comprehensive book contains contributions from specialists who provide a complete status update along with outstanding issues encompassing different topics related to deep-sea mining. Interest in exploration and exploitation of deep-sea minerals is seeing a revival due to diminishing grades and increasing costs of processing of terrestrial minerals as well as availability of several strategic metals in seabed mineral resources; it therefore becomes imperative to take stock of various issues related to deep-sea mining.
The authors are experienced scientists and engineers from around the globe developing advanced technologies for mining and metallurgical extraction as well as performing deep sea exploration for several decades. They invite readers to learn about the resource potential of different deep-sea minerals, design considerations and development of mining systems, and the potential environmental impacts of mining in international waters.
marine mineral deposits metallurgical processing environmental impact assessment polymetallic nodules seafloor sulfide deposits cobalt-rich manganese crusts benthic biodiversity rare earth metals deep sea mining
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-52557-0
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science Earth and Environmental Science (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-52556-3
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-52557-0
- Buy this book on publisher's site