Table of contents
About this book
This book explores the social conditions that promote pediatric resilience. It present resilience as a set of complex interpersonal, institutional, and political relationships that affect young patients’ ability to “do well” in the face of medical adversity. Chapters analyze the impact of chronic or disabling conditions on children’s development, while highlighting effective interventions that promote family well-being. This book integrates research from psychology, social work, medical anthropology, child life specialty, palliative care, public health, and nursing to examine a wide variety of family, cultural, and medical contexts. Practical strategies for supporting children and families are discussed, from meaningful assessment and interventions to social policy and advocacy.
Featured topics include:
- Psychosocial factors influencing children with immune-related health conditions.
- Resilience and pediatric cancer survivorship within a cultural context.
- Promoting resilience in chronically ill children and their families during the transition to adolescence.
- Creating a context for resilience in medical settings.
- Promoting resilience through children’s health and social care policy.
Child and Adolescent Resilience Within Medical Contexts is a must-have resource for researchers, clinicians and other professionals, as well as graduate students in child and school psychology, child and adolescent psychiatry, social work, pediatrics, medical anthropology, nursing, educational psychology and policy.
Acute stressors and resilience in children Biopsychosocial foundations of resilience in children Biopsychosocial prevention and resilience in children Biopsychosocial prevention and resilience in medical settings Child health psychology and resilience Chronic conditions and resilience in children Competence and resilience in children in medical contexts Cultural contexts and resilience in children Ecological prevention and resilience in children Ecological prevention and resilience in medical settings Ecological system theory of resilience in children Families and resilience in children Global perspectives on medical resilience in children Medical practitioners and resilience in children Pediatric psychology and resilience Resilience in children in medical settings Resilience theory in medical contexts Roots of Resilience project Substance abuse and resilience in children Treatment relationship and resilience in children with cancer
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-32223-0
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-32221-6
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-32223-0
- Buy this book on publisher's site