Table of contents
About this book
This book brings together mental health professionals and researchers to offer the most up-to-date information on the diagnosis, treatment, and research surrounding bipolar depression. Its individual chapters provide valuable diagnostic information, allowing clinicians to distinguish between the various mood disorders. Further, they: review the course, outcome, and genetics of this highly heritable condition; offer a thorough overview of the neurobiology of the disorder, including what is known from neuroimaging work; delineate the treatment of bipolar depression in special populations such as children and pregnant women; address suicide, focusing on the need for assessment during both acute and maintenance treatment with interventions appropriate to a patient’s symptoms and history; and cover acute and long-term treatment strategies for bipolar depression, including both traditional and novel therapeutics for the disorder, as well as non-pharmacological treatments.
This second edition reflects significant advances, including an improved understanding of the altered neurobiology of patients suffering from bipolar depression, new information on pathophysiology and genetic findings drawn from diverse studies, and a discussion of the significant strides made towards improved treatment with already available and novel agents.
Antidepressants Mental health Melancholia Mania Mood stabilizer Suicide risk factors and prevention Major depressive episode Bipolar disorders
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-31689-5
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland (outside the USA) 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-31687-1
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-31689-5
- Series Print ISSN 2296-6056
- Series Online ISSN 2296-6064
- Buy this book on publisher's site