About this book
This book focuses primarily on the role of interfacial forces in understanding biological phenomena at the molecular scale. By providing a suitable statistical mechanical apparatus to handle the biomolecular interface, the book becomes uniquely positioned to address core problems in molecular biophysics. It highlights the importance of interfacial tension in delineating a solution to the protein folding problem, in unravelling the physico-chemical basis of enzyme catalysis and protein associations, and in rationally designing molecular targeted therapies. Thus grounded in fundamental science, the book develops a powerful technological platform for drug discovery, while it is set to inspire scientists at any level in their careers determined to address the major challenges in molecular biophysics.
The acknowledgment of how exquisitely the structure and dynamics of proteins and their aqueous environment are related attests to the overdue recognition that biomolecular phenomena cannot be effectively understood without dealing with interfacial behaviour. There is an urge to grasp how biologically relevant behaviour is shaped by the structuring of biomolecular interfaces and how interfacial tension affects the molecular events that take place in the cell. This book squarely addresses these needs from a physicist perspective.
The book may serve as a monograph for practitioners and, alternatively, as an advanced textbook. Fruitful reading requires a background in physical chemistry and some basics in biophysics. The selected problems at the end of the chapters and the progression in conceptual difficulty make it a suitable textbook for a graduate level course or an elective course for seniors majoring in chemistry, physics, biomedical engineering or related disciplines.
- Book Title Physics at the Biomolecular Interface
- Book Subtitle Fundamentals for Molecular Targeted Therapy
- Series Title Soft and Biological Matter
- Series Abbreviated Title Soft and Biological Matter
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-30852-4
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-30851-7
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-80900-7
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-30852-4
- Series ISSN 2213-1736
- Series E-ISSN 2213-1744
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XV, 483
- Number of Illustrations 87 b/w illustrations, 208 illustrations in colour
Biological and Medical Physics, Biophysics
- Buy this book on publisher's site