About this book
Colin Burgess offers a comprehensive yet personal look at the 1962 orbital mission of Wally Schirra aboard the spacecraft Sigma 7, the first book about this popular pioneering astronaut which explores his entire life and accomplishments. This continues the author's attempt to fully document the record of Project Mercury's pioneering early phase of the Space Age.
Schirra’s pre-NASA life is examined, as well as his training as a NASA astronaut and for his Mercury MA-8 flight. The 6-orbit flight of Sigma 7 is fully covered from its origins through to the spacecraft’s safe recovery from the ocean after a highly successful Mercury mission. Schirra’s participation on the Gemini 6 and Apollo 7 missions is also told, but in brief, and the book also relates his post-NASA life and activities through to his passing in 2007. The Mercury Seven occupy a unique spot in the history of human spaceflight, and Schirra is at last given his due as one of the contributing astronauts in this painstakingly researched book.
- Book Title Sigma 7
- Book Subtitle The Six Mercury Orbits of Walter M. Schirra, Jr.
- Series Title Springer Praxis Books
- Series Abbreviated Title Springer Praxis Books(formerly: Springer-Praxis Series)
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-27983-1
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy (R0)
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-27982-4
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-27983-1
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVII, 298
- Number of Illustrations 144 b/w illustrations, 82 illustrations in colour
Popular Science in Astronomy
Space Sciences (including Extraterrestrial Physics, Space Exploration and Astronautics)
Aerospace Technology and Astronautics
History of Science
- Buy this book on publisher's site