About this book
This book reassesses the seminal work of Wilhelm Wundt by discussing the history and philosophy of psychology. It traces the pioneering theorist’s intellectual development and the evolution of psychology throughout his career. The author draws on little-known sources to situate psychological concepts in Wundt’s philosophical thought and address common myths and misconceptions relating to Wundt’s ideas. The ideas presented in this book show why Wundt’s work remains relevant in this era of ongoing mind/brain debate and interest continues in the links between psychology and philosophy.
Featured topics include:
- Theoretical and philosophical foundations of Wundt’s early work in scientific psychology.
- Wundt’s conception of scientific philosophy in relation to his theory of knowledge.
- The epistemological dimensions of Wundt’s final project in scientific psychology.
Wundt and the Philosophical Foundations of Psychology is a valuable resource for researchers, professors, and graduate students in cognitive and related psychology and philosophy disciplines.
“Saulo Araujo raises Wundt scholarship to a new level. This book is the splendid result of intensive studies of the entire Wundt oeuvre.”
“Saulo Araujo, in his study of Wundt’s philosophy and psychology, is as remarkable for the breadth and depth of his scholarship as he is for the clarity of his writing.”
Rand B. Evans
Emeritus Professor of Psychology, East Carolina University
“A milestone, this book serves to establish an advanced level in Wundt studies. Araujo presents a reconstruction of Wundt’s epistemology and philosophy of psychology and corrects misunderstandings in the reception of Wundt’s essential thoughts.”
Emeritus Professor of Psychology, University of Freiburg, Germany
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-26636-7
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-26634-3
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-26636-7
- Buy this book on publisher's site