Table of contents
About these proceedings
The Thorium Energy Conference (ThEC13) gathered some of the world’s leading experts on thorium technologies to review the possibility of destroying nuclear waste in the short term, and replacing the uranium fuel cycle in nuclear systems with the thorium fuel cycle in the long term. The latter would provide abundant, reliable and safe energy with no CO2 production, no air pollution, and minimal waste production.
The participants, representatives of 30 countries, included Carlo Rubbia, Nobel Prize Laureate in physics and inventor of the Energy Amplifier; Jack Steinberger, Nobel Prize Laureate in physics; Hans Blix, former Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA); Rolf Heuer, Director General of CERN; Pascal Couchepin, former President of the Swiss Confederation; and Claude Haegi, President of the FEDRE, to name just a few.
The ThEC13 proceedings are a source of reference on the use of thorium for energy generation. They offer detailed technical reviews of the status of thorium energy technologies, from basic R&D to industrial developments.
They also describe how thorium can be used in critical reactors and in subcritical accelerator-driven systems (ADS), answering the important questions:
– Why is thorium so attractive and what is the role of innovation, in particular in the nuclear energy domain?
– What are the national and international R&D programs on thorium technologies and how are they progressing?
ThEC13 was organized jointly by the international Thorium Energy Committee (iThEC), an association based in Geneva, and the International Thorium Energy Organisation (IThEO). It was held in the Globe of Science and Innovation at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), Geneva, Switzerland, in October 2013.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Thorium Energy for the World
- Book Subtitle Proceedings of the ThEC13 Conference, CERN, Globe of Science and Innovation, Geneva, Switzerland, October 27-31, 2013
Jean-Christophe de Mestral
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-26542-1
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-26540-7
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-79968-1
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-26542-1
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages LII, 446
- Number of Illustrations 31 b/w illustrations, 253 illustrations in colour
Nuclear Physics, Heavy Ions, Hadrons
- Buy this book on publisher's site