About this book
This book examines how post-transcriptional mechanisms control endocrine function. This includes newly identified regulatory mechanisms involved in hormone biosynthesis, control of hormone receptors and the outputs of hormone mediated signal transduction. Chapters address endocrine hormones including protein peptide/peptide, steroid, and non-steroidal hormones. The impacts of these mechanisms on disease and health are covered, providing a novel update to the scientific literature.
Post-transcriptional regulatory mechanisms play an essential role in controlling dynamic gene expression. The outcome of this regulation includes control of the amount, timing, and location of protein expression. Regulation is mediated by cis-acting RNA sequences and structures and transacting RNA binding proteins and non-coding RNAs, including microRNAs. Recent advances in characterization of these regulatory factors have revealed enormous regulatory potential.
cytokines hormones insulin post-transcriptional regulation post-translational regulation steroid hormone receptor gene expression microRNA metabolism
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-25124-0
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-25122-6
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-25124-0
- Buy this book on publisher's site