Table of contents
About this book
This Brief concerns the influence of chemistry in the modern food and beverages industry. The world of traditional foods has been soundlessly but increasingly interconnected with the chemical industry in the last century. Different areas are considered in a multidisciplinary approach:
- the production of chemical additives and of non-food components needed in the food industry (e.g. packaging materials)
- the regulatory perspective of the whole food production chain
- commercialization of food commodities
- the problem of food safety from the viewpoint of official auditors with medical or veterinarian competencies
- new and emerging risks related to food packaging materials
- the assessment of the authenticity of edible products.
This Brief includes different viewpoints, ranging from the management of allergens and food additives in the food plant to the complex matter of the formulation of traditional products with the consequent production of “alternative” versions of the same food.