About this book
This book provides a comprehensive discussion of nonlinear multi-modal structural vibration problems, and shows how vibration suppression can be applied to such systems by considering a sample set of relevant control techniques. It covers the basic principles of nonlinear vibrations that occur in flexible and/or adaptive structures, with an emphasis on engineering analysis and relevant control techniques.
Understanding nonlinear vibrations is becoming increasingly important in a range of engineering applications, particularly in the design of flexible structures such as aircraft, satellites, bridges, and sports stadia. There is an increasing trend towards lighter structures, with increased slenderness, often made of new composite materials and requiring some form of deployment and/or active vibration control. There are also applications in the areas of robotics, mechatronics, micro electrical mechanical systems, non-destructive testing and related disciplines such as structural health monitoring. Two broader themes cut across these application areas: (i) vibration suppression – or active damping – and, (ii) adaptive structures and machines.
In this expanded 2nd edition, revisions include:
- An additional section on passive vibration control, including nonlinear vibration mounts.
- A more in-depth description of semi-active control, including switching and continuous schemes for dampers and other semi-active systems.
- A complet
The book is accessible to practitioners in the areas of application, as well as students and researchers working on related topics. In particular, the aim is to introduce the key concepts of nonlinear vibration to readers who have an understanding of linear vibration and/or linear control, but no specialist knowledge in nonlinear dynamics or nonlinear control.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-10644-1
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2015
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Engineering Engineering (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-10643-4
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-10644-1
- Series Print ISSN 0925-0042
- Series Online ISSN 2214-7764
- Buy this book on publisher's site