About this book
This book provides a comprehensive review of the importance of communication and digital technology in dentistry. The exciting and rapidly developing field of teledentistry has evolved considerably as the techniques have improved; these encompass high-resolution digital imaging, image storage and transmission to expert disease monitoring centers, image compression, data security and intelligent systems, each of which have opened new vistas in patient care, distance learning for dental personnel and dental care education for patients.
Teledentistry is a means of achieving equity in specialist dental service delivery with acceptable levels of care that is evidence based, even in situations where trained specialists personnel and infrastructure resources are limited. This multiauthored sourcebook encapsulates global efforts in the development of teledentistry with contributions from many international experts with first- hand experience. They not only describe what is already available but also postulate what the future holds for teledentistry.
Teledentistry presents a concise and yet thorough review of the subject to anyone, independent of their knowledge of the technology. It is designed to be used by all, including dentists, nurses, allied health professionals and students.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Teledentistry
- Series Title Health Informatics
- Series Abbreviated Title Health Informatics(formerly:Computers in Health Care)
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-08973-7
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2015
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Medicine Medicine (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-08972-0
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-35407-1
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-08973-7
- Series ISSN 1431-1917
- Series E-ISSN 2197-3741
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages X, 117
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 25 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site
From the book reviews:
“This is a comprehensive overview of the evolving area of teledentistry, detailing how this area of technology can be effectively used. … can be useful for educators and community health workers. … This in-depth introduction to the field of teledentistry provides evidence-based information on this developing area. This is a welcome addition, as there are few such books available to the profession of dentistry.” (Janet H. Southerland, Doody’s Book Reviews, February, 2015)