About this book
Engineering Ethics: Challenges and Opportunities aims to set a new agenda for the engineering profession by developing a key challenge: can the great technical innovation of engineering be matched by a corresponding innovation in the acceptance and expression of ethical responsibility? Central features of this stimulating text include:
- An analysis of engineering as a technical and ethical practice providing great opportunities for promoting the wellbeing and agency of individuals and communities.
- Elucidation of the ethical opportunities of engineering in three key areas:
- Engineering for Peace, emphasising practical amelioration of the root causes of conflict rather than military solutions.
- Engineering for Health, focusing on close collaboration with healthcare professionals for both the promotion and restoration of health.
- Engineering for Development, providing effective solutions for the reduction of extreme poverty.
Innovative strategies for implementing these ethical opportunities are described:
- Emphasis on the personal responsibility of every engineer and on the
- Use of language and concepts that are appealing to business managers and political decision makers.
- Future prospects for increasing the acceptance and expression of ethical responsibility by engineers are envisaged.
Engineering Ethics: Challenges and Opportunities provides engineers, decision makers and the wider public with new understanding of the potential of engineering for the promotion of human flourishing.