Table of contents
Foundations of Aging and Sexual Identities
Multicultural, International, and Select Populations of LGBT Elders
Mistreatment and Victimization of Older LGBT Persons
Health Care and Mental Health
Family and Community
Counseling and Human Services Delivery
About this book
This groundbreaking resource presents a wealth of findings and perspectives previously unseen in the LGBT literature. Its focus on psychological, sociopolitical, and care delivery issues affecting LGBT elders reveals both the nuanced interplay between diverse sources of identity and multiple sources of stigma and discrimination.
Specific chapters highlight challenges and resiliencies impacting subpopulations (e.g., racial groups, veterans, immigrants), examine employment and advocacy issues, discuss later-life concerns in context, and offer guidelines for relevant, ethical practice. Contributors represent a wide range of fields from psychiatry and gerontology to public health and public policy, reflecting the scope and needs of this diverse and complex population.
Among the topics in the Handbook:
- Family relationships of older LGBT adults.
- The intersection of identities: race, age, sexuality, and care network.
- Bisexuality: an invisible community among LGBT elders.
- Implications of the Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage.
- No money, no work, and you're old.
- Disabilities among LGBT elders: responses of medicine, public health, rehabilitation, and social work.
Handbook of LGBT Elders is an essential reference for mental health professionals, psychologists, and social workers who work with the LGBT community and the elderly, as well as researchers interested in the LGBT community and aging.