Table of contents
About this book
Optimization has long been a source of both inspiration and applications for geometers, and conversely, discrete and convex geometry have provided the foundations for many optimization techniques, leading to a rich interplay between these subjects. The purpose of the Workshop on Discrete Geometry, the Conference on Discrete Geometry and Optimization, and the Workshop on Optimization, held in September 2011 at the Fields Institute, Toronto, was to further stimulate the interaction between geometers and optimizers. This volume reflects the interplay between these areas.
The inspiring Fejes Tóth Lecture Series, delivered by Thomas Hales of the University of Pittsburgh, exemplified this approach. While these fields have recently witnessed a lot of activity and successes, many questions remain open. For example, Fields medalist Stephen Smale stated that the question of the existence of a strongly polynomial time algorithm for linear optimization is one of the most important unsolved problems at the beginning of the 21st century. The broad range of topics covered in this volume demonstrates the many recent and fruitful connections between different approaches, and features novel results and state-of-the-art surveys as well as open problems.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Discrete Geometry and Optimization
- Series Title Fields Institute Communications
- Series Abbreviated Title Fields Inst. Communicat.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-00200-2
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2013
- Publisher Name Springer, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics Mathematics and Statistics (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-00199-9
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-03312-9
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-00200-2
- Series ISSN 1069-5265
- Series E-ISSN 2194-1564
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages X, 336
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Convex and Discrete Geometry
Operations Research, Management Science
- Buy this book on publisher's site