About this book
This text serves as a thorough introduction to the rapidly developing field of positional games. This area constitutes an important branch of combinatorics, whose aim it is to systematically develop an extensive mathematical basis for a variety of two-player perfect information games. These range from such popular games as Tic-Tac-Toe and Hex to purely abstract games played on graphs and hypergraphs. The subject of positional games is strongly related to several other branches of combinatorics such as Ramsey theory, extremal graph and set theory, and the probabilistic method.
These notes cover a variety of topics in positional games, including both classical results and recent important developments. They are presented in an accessible way and are accompanied by exercises of varying difficulty, helping the reader to better understand the theory. The text will benefit both researchers and graduate students in combinatorics and adjacent fields.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-0348-0825-5
- Copyright Information Springer Basel 2014
- Publisher Name Birkhäuser, Basel
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics Mathematics and Statistics (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-0348-0824-8
- Online ISBN 978-3-0348-0825-5
- Series Print ISSN 1661-237X
- Series Online ISSN 2296-5041
- Buy this book on publisher's site