About this book
The observational component of astronomy is an exciting and vital part of any astrophysics degree. With the advent of low-cost astronomical cameras and remote and robotic operation, more students than ever have the opportunity to observe and perform observatory research.
This updated and fully corrected textbook provides a comprehensive overview of practical observing techniques for undergraduate astrophysics courses. The chapters introduce students to the basics of the field before delving into telescope types, the nature and operation of the astronomical camera, imaging techniques and reduction, photometry and spectrography, and solar and radio observations.
The second edition covers the latest research on calibrating the telescope-camera-observatory system. It contains revised information on all available astronomy equipment, including filters, webcams, sensors, and telescope designs. Also included is an entirely new chapter on exoplanet transit measurements. The textbook’s practical approach will guide readers from basic first-year techniques to those required for a final-year project.
Astrometry Introduction CCD Operation and Calibration College Astrophysics Observing Projects Filters Introduction Guide for College Astrophysics Imaging Introduction Instrumentation for Observational Astrophysics Photometry Introduction Small Telescope Science Spectrography Introduction
- Book Title An Introduction to Observational Astrophysics
- Series Title Undergraduate Lecture Notes in Physics
- Series Abbreviated Title Undergraduate Lect. Notes Physics
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-43551-6
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy (R0)
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-43550-9
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-43551-6
- Series ISSN 2192-4791
- Series E-ISSN 2192-4805
- Edition Number 2
- Number of Pages XVIII, 236
- Number of Illustrations 40 b/w illustrations, 36 illustrations in colour
Astronomy, Astrophysics and Cosmology
Optics, Lasers, Photonics, Optical Devices
- Buy this book on publisher's site