About this book
This Palgrave Pivot will present a comprehensive history of sociology in Britain, tracking the discipline's intellectual developments within the institutional and political context.
After tracing the early development of the subject as an intellectual field in empirical and idealist philosophy, evolutionism, socialism, and statistical investigations, Scott lays out the trajectory of sociology as an institutionalised discipline. British Sociology maps the spread of the subject from the first Sociology Department at LSE to cover the whole country. It considers the establishment of significant professionalorganisations and journals, and the impact of feminism and political change. Scott also reviews theoretical engagement with Marxism, interactionism, feminism, and post-structuralism and the development of the discipline through research studies of crime, race and ethnicity, community, stratification, health, sexuality, and work.
Set against the backdrop of a changing political context that has seen the growth of neoliberalism and globalisation, and looking forward with the ongoing search for 'new directions,' this useful and original contribution will appeal to both academics and students across sociology, criminology, and the political sciences.
history of sociology paradigms disciplines intellectual trends neoliberalism globalisation The Geddes Project Sociological Society Sociological Review BSA Feminism Post-structuralism
- Book Title British Sociology
- Book Subtitle A History
- Series Title Sociology Transformed
- Series Abbreviated Title Sociology Transformed
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-38371-8
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Palgrave Pivot, Cham
- eBook Packages Social Sciences Social Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-38370-1
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-38373-2
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-38371-8
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XI, 237
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Social Sciences, general
Sociology of Education
History of Britain and Ireland
- Buy this book on publisher's site