Table of contents
About this book
This book provides cutting-edge, evidence-based strategies and interventions that target students’ engagement at school and with learning. Coverage begins with the background and 29-year history of the Check & Connect Model and describes the model and assessment of student engagement that served as the backdrop for conceptualizing the engagement interventions described in the book. Subsequent chapters are organized around the subtypes of student engagement – academic, behavioral, affective, cognitive – that were developed based on work with the Check & Connect Model. Principles and formal interventions are presented at both the universal and more intensive levels, consistent with the Response-to-Intervention/Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS) framework. The book concludes with a summary on the lessons learned from Check & Connect and the importance of a system that is oriented toward enhancing engagement and school completion for all students.
Interventions featured in this book include:
- Peer-Assisted Learning Strategies (PALS).
- The Homework, Organization, and Planning Skills (HOPS) Intervention.
- The Good Behavior Game in the classroom.
- Check-in, Check-out (CICO).
- Banking Time, a dyadic intervention to improve teacher-student relationships
- The Self-Regulation Empowerment Program (SREP).
Student Engagement is a must-have resource for researchers, professionals, and graduate students in child and school psychology, educational policy and politics, and family studies.
Academic engagement and Check & Connect Academic engagement and student success Affective engagement and student success Behavioral engagement and academic success Check & Connect and student engagement Check in/Check out behavior education program Classwide Peer Tutoring (CWPT) and student engagement Cognitive engagement and student success Good Behavior Game and student engagement Growth mindsets and academic achievements Homework, Organization, and Planning Skills (HOPS) interventions Interventions to enhance academic engagement Partners in Active Learning (PALs) Program and student success Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) & students Relationship-building strategies and student engagement School connectedness interventions and academic success Self-Regulated Strategy Development and student success Self-Regulation Empowerment Program (SREP) & academic success Student engagement and assessment Student engagement and interventions
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Student Engagement
- Book Subtitle Effective Academic, Behavioral, Cognitive, and Affective Interventions at School
Amy L. Reschly
Angie J. Pohl
Sandra L. Christenson
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-37285-9
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-37284-2
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-37287-3
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-37285-9
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIX, 331
- Number of Illustrations 10 b/w illustrations, 9 illustrations in colour
Child and School Psychology
Educational Policy and Politics
- Buy this book on publisher's site