About this book
This is the first book to systematically study the weak systems of mereology. In its chapters, the author critically analyzes and explains core topics related to mereology, such as parthood without antisymmetry, non-existence of the zero element, and Leśniewski's notion of class and set.
The book also delves into three theories of parthood: two concern the sum existence axioms, and the third contends with transitivity of parthood.
This is the first systematic analysis of systems of mereology of its kind and is suitable for students, scholars, logicians, and mathematicians who wish to further their knowledge of mereology.
Original polish publication “Podstawy teorii części” by The Nicolaus Copernicus University Press
Mereology Foundations of Mereology Weak Systems of Mereology Transitivity of Parthood Mereological Sum Existence Axioms Existentially neutral theories of parthood mereological sum mereological fusion Leśniewski mereology Grzegorczyk mereology Lesniewski mereology Non-transitive theories of parthood Bounded axioms of mereological sum Supplementation principles in mereology Mereology and Boolean algebras Grzegorczyk lattices
- Book Title Foundations of the Theory of Parthood
- Book Subtitle A Study of Mereology
- Series Title Trends in Logic
- Series Abbreviated Title Trends in Logic
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-36533-2
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics Mathematics and Statistics (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-36532-5
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-36535-6
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-36533-2
- Series ISSN 1572-6126
- Series E-ISSN 2212-7313
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXIII, 285
- Number of Illustrations 725 b/w illustrations, 4 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site