About this book
This book explores partisan dealignment in France between 1978 and 2012, with a particular focus on the blue-collar electorate and its relationship with the political parties of the established left (the Socialist Party, or parti socialiste, and the Communist Party, or parti communiste français). It highlights the distinctiveness of blue-collar partisanship in a context of significant political, social and economic change and compares it with patterns of partisanship in the wider electorate. The voter-party relationship is self-evidently a bilateral one which can be modified both on the demand side, because voters change, and on the supply side, because parties change. Four factors are identified as playing a key role in partisan dealignment: value change, policy convergence, political sophistication and political trust. There is compelling evidence that while each of these makes a contribution, it is changes in the behaviour of the parties that are driving partisan dealignment among blue-collar workers in France.
Sally Marthaler is a former lecturer and researcher in politics and contemporary European studies at the University of Sussex, UK. She has published articles in journals including French Politics, West European Politics, and French Politics, Culture & Society, as well as chapters on French politics in books on the European Union.
partisanship dealignment political parties voter behaviour French politics blue-collar electorate blue-collar partisanship blue-collar voters young voters policy convergence condition ouvrière party manifestos ideological conflict political sophistication political mobilisation political trust parti socialiste parti communiste français Front National
- Book Title Partisan Dealignment and the Blue-Collar Electorate in France
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-35465-7
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Political Science and International Studies Political Science and International Studies (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-35464-0
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-35467-1
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-35465-7
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVII, 234
- Number of Illustrations 1 b/w illustrations, 55 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site