About this book
This book provides a complete and accurate atomic level statistical mechanical explanation of entropy and the second law of thermodynamics. It assumes only a basic knowledge of mechanics and requires no knowledge of calculus. The treatment uses primarily geometric arguments and college level algebra. Quantitative examples are given at each stage to buttress physical understanding.
This text is of benefit to undergraduate and graduate students, as well as educators and researchers in the physical sciences (whether or not they have taken a thermodynamics course) who want to understand or teach the atomic/molecular origins of entropy and the second law. It is particularly aimed at those who, due to insufficient mathematical background or because of their area of study, are not going to take a traditional statistical mechanics course.
Second Law of Thermodynamics Statistical Mechanics The Arrow of Time entropy and thermodynamics entropy demystified modern statstical mechanics
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-35457-2
- Copyright Information The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-35459-6
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-35457-2
- Series Print ISSN 2191-5423
- Series Online ISSN 2191-5431
- Buy this book on publisher's site