Table of contents
About this book
According to the World Health Organization, the epidemic of global obesity has nearly tripled since 1975. In 2016, more than 1.9 billion adults were overweight, over 650 million of which were obese. Being overweight and obese has been linked to a number of non-communicable, chronic diseases. Pathophysiology of Obesity-Induced Health Complications is a compilation of review articles dedicated to describe co-morbidities associated with obesity.
The wide range that is covered is of significant interest to basic research scientists, clinicians and graduate students who are engaged in studying obesity-induced health complications. Furthermore, this book highlights the potential of novel approaches for the prevention and treatment of obesity and its related illnesses.
Nineteen articles in this book are organized in four sections that are designed to provide an overview of obesity-induced health complications. The first section serves as an introductory section on the prevalence, causes, consequences, treatments and preventive approaches for obesity. Section two covers the metabolic disturbances and inflammation due to obesity. The third section is focused on neurological and visceral complications as a consequence of obesity. The final section covers strategies for the prevention of obesity-induced complications. The book illustrates that obesity can result in a diverse range of pathophysiological conditions that adversely affect health.
ISCHEMIC HEART DISEASE MENTAL ILLNESS SLEEP DISORDERS INFERTILITY LIVER AND KIDNEY DISEASE
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Pathophysiology of Obesity-Induced Health Complications
Paramjit S. Tappia
Naranjan S. Dhalla
- Series Title Advances in Biochemistry in Health and Disease
- Series Abbreviated Title Advs.in Biochemistry
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-35358-2
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-35357-5
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-35360-5
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-35358-2
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVI, 345
- Number of Illustrations 9 b/w illustrations, 31 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site