About this book
— Ana M. López, Professor in the Communication Department and Associate Provost, Tulane University, USA
'This is the first book to explore the representation of domestic workers in Latin American cinema of the 21st century. There is a growing genre of fascinating films that feature the domestic worker across Latin America and this edited book is timely, well researched and illuminating. This is an essential volume for anyone who wants to understand the figure of the domestic worker and how she has been seen in recent Latin America cinema.'
— Deborah Shaw, Professor of Film and Screen Studies, University of Portsmouth, UK
'If there still remains one sociocultural constant among the diverse societies of Latin America, it is the domestic servant. Even into the twenty-first, as the studies presented in this volume, the domestic servant plays a role that, no matter how things change with the latest versions of modernity, her absence would bring down the social narrative.'
— David William Foster, Regents Professor of Spanish and Women and Gender Studies, Arizona State University, USA
Traditionally, paid domestic workers have been marginalized in Latin American cinema. Since 2000, however, a number of recent films have questioned this historical marginalization of domestic employment by making these workers the center of their narratives. Domestic Labor in Twenty-First Century Latin American Cinema provides the first in-depth exploration of the representation of domestic labor in recent Latin American films. This edited volume examines both feature and documentary films that focus on the doméstica as an emergent subject that challenges hierarchical power structures within the household. Each chapter sheds light on how domestic workers respond to economic, social, political, and cultural anxieties and tensions.Sofía Ruiz-Alfaro is Associate Professor of Spanish at Franklin & Marshall College, USA.
Elizabeth Osborne is Assistant Professor of Spanish at Worcester State University, USA.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Domestic Labor in Twenty-First Century Latin American Cinema
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-33296-9
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Literature, Cultural and Media Studies Literature, Cultural and Media Studies (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-33295-2
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-33298-3
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-33296-9
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIV, 242
- Number of Illustrations 27 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Latin American Cinema and TV
Latin American Culture
Culture and Gender
Global Cinema and TV
- Buy this book on publisher's site